Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Eight months! (I know – almost a week late…ooops!)

John seems quite advanced physically compared to my memories of Daniel at this age. Daniel was very mellow. If he had enough food head would just refuse to open his mouth and look at me like he was trying to talk to me telepathically. When John is done eating he will start whining when I offer him a spoon full of pureed carrots. Sometimes he will grab the spoon a wave it over his head until the dining room walls are splattered with bright orange flecks. (cheerios he will eat 24/7 if we let him.)

A few weeks ago he started pulling himself up to a standing poition. By now he is cruising along holding onto any furniture (or people) he can get his hands on. Yesterday he was standing at the coffee table. He turned to look at Aaron and myself sitting on the couch. John turned slightly and let go of the table. He stood (very well) on his own for as long as it took me to say “Oh my God he’s gonna do it. He’s gonna walk!” And then splat right to the floor.

We are still trying to get John to sleep until 7am. So far he only gets that far when I want to get up early. Usually he wakes at 5:30am. He might play and coo for about 5-10 minutes and then he starts crying. Sometimes it sounds like he’s crying “Mommy”. I thought it was Daniel a few times. The little brother is mimicking the older one.

We will leave him in his room until about 6:30am. I take him for a walk around a neat park with a ravine. I keep forgetting my camera (as usual – I should rename this blog “So I forgot my camera…again!”). There is some really neat wild life around. We have a ton of rabbits is this area (and in our backyard). There were some interesting ducks I couldn’t identify (and still haven’t looked up) which is cool because I grew up on Lake Wilcox so I’ve seen a lot of water birds. There is also a blue heron that I have only seen twice. I love how they look like they belong in Jurassic park. So prehistoric looking. And anti-social.

Back to John and HIS walk…I’m enjoying this part of it. Fresh air and exercise. And challenging – the walk home is all uphill.

We get home around 7am and I give the little man his bottle which he practically feeds himself. We’re hoping this delaying tactic will adjust his hunger schedule. Fingers still crossed.

At eight months John is REALLY starting to look like his daddy. Aaron and I may not have gotten a boy and a girl, but our boys are like each of our little clones.

John is very expressive. He is also a very happy social baby.

I’m am predicting that when I write John’s 9 month update I will be musing about his walking ability (and maybe even talking? Or starting his own rock band?)

On a side note - I didn't realize how grown-up Daniel looks until I saw this picture! Where did my baby go?

No comments: